How To Program Chevy Key Fob
Your key fob is your hand-held connection to the vehicle you know and love, and learning how to program a Chevy key fob only takes a minute! Although your original Chevy Malibu key fob or Chevy Silverado key fob will likely arrive ready-to-go, you might need to program additional keys for other drivers in your family, or program a replacement key after losing the original!
Find out how it’s done below, and then explore more of our service tips and tricks from your home near Voorhees.
Chevy Key Fob Programming: A Step-by-Step Guide
No matter what kind of Chevy key fob your vehicle uses, programming is quick and easy. Here’s the whole process laid out step-by-step:
- Use your Chevy key to manually unlock your car door.
- Once all doors are fully shut, insert the key into the ignition. Don’t start the engine.
- Press the unlock button on the driver’s side door, and hold it down. As you do so, turn the key to position one. This should activate your lights and radio, but your engine should remain off.
- Turn the key back to off, and then to on once more. Then repeat in rapid succession.
- Release the unlock button. If you hear the doors lock and unlock, you’re ready to start programming. Proceed to the next steps! If you don’t hear anything, start over.
- Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on your key fob simultaneously. Hold them down until you hear the doors lock and unlock once more. This is the signal that pairing has been successful!
- Close out the process by reinserting the programmed key into the ignition, and turning it to “On.”
How to Use a Chevy Remote Start Key Fob
In properly-equipped vehicles, programming your fob will allow you to do a whole lot more than lock or unlock your vehicle from a distance. If you drive a model that’s been equipped with the Chevrolet Remote Vehicle Starter System, you’ll need to know how to take advantage of the unique Chevy remote start key fob:
- Lock the car, then press and hold the “Start” button, which depicts a circular arrow.
- After about four seconds, the signal lights should flash on and off! This is your signal that the engine has fired up!
- You’ll still need to have the fob on your person in order to enter your locked vehicle, so make sure not to leave it behind!
Where Can I Get a Chevy Key Fob Replacement?
Need a new Chevy key fob battery or a brand new key fob? Visit our parts department to get exactly what you need! If we don’t have a new key fob for your vehicle in stock, we’ll order it and let you know as soon as it arrives.
More Chevy Technology Tips and Tricks
We’re here to help you make the most of all your Chevy features. Still getting familiar with all of the technologies in your new vehicle? Check out a few of our other introductory guides:
- How to Update Chevy MyLink
- How to Connect to Chevy In-Car Wi-Fi
- How to Program your Chevy Garage Door Opener
Get Additional Chevy Key Fob Programming Help at Chevrolet Of Turnersville
Having trouble with Chevy key fob programming? Working with an older fob? If you encounter any difficulty, feel free to schedule service! We can have the issue sorted out in no time, so you can get back on the road in Deptford or Cherry Hill.